*YESS field trips are postponed until further notice due to COVID-19. Check back for updates.*
The County of San Mateo’s YESS program provides high school students with the opportunity to learn about the local impacts of climate change through a mixture of classroom presentations, interactive activities, and field trips. Due to COVID-19 we are not scheduling field trips at this time.
The YESS program has adapted its curriculum to align with remote learning needs! The new YESS Program for remote learning is FREE OF COST to schools and teachers. Through the YESS program, students will gain a stronger understanding of climate change and sea level rise, explore what and who will be impacted, and learn how we can make our communities more resilient.
The YESS program for remote learning offers the following resources and opportunities to high school teachers and students in San Mateo County:
- YESS Program Teacher Guidebook – this step by step program implementation guide supports teachers with teaching tools, educational resources, and more.
- Student Workbook – the workbook includes all instructions for students to successfully complete the program and includes activities, assignments, and projects.
- Presentations with YESS staff (virtually or in-person)
- Virtual field trips to Cooley Landing hosted by Grassroots Ecology.
- Visual Story Map Project – students connect climate change to their own lives through a creative self-reflection project.
- Student Solutionary Project – students explore climate solutions and actions through creating their own solutionary project.
- Technical support for teachers and students.
We are now scheduling YESS presentations for the 2020-2021 academic year!
For more information about the YESS program for remote learning or to schedule presentations, please reach out to Kamille Lang (email@example.com).
Join us! Here’s how:
- Fill out this survey to share your interest and to schedule an overview meeting with the YESS Program lead.
- Use the YESS curriculum in your classroom. Access the YESS Teacher Guidebook for Remote Learning here or download the YESS Teacher’s Guide (NGSS and Common Core aligned for grades 9-12) – NEW curriculum coming soon!
- Sign up for YESS Email Announcements. Be the first to find out about YESS updates other opportunities. Sign up here.
- Join our Teacher’s Advisory Committee. Be part of shaping and updating our YESS curriculum. Find more information here.
Our impact since 2015:
- 1500+ students have participated in the YESS program
- 600+ native plants planted during habitat restoration field trips at the East Palo Alto Baylands
- 15 San Mateo County high schools engaged in service-based learning
- Student have participated in the Living Shoreline Art Project
- Community partnerships with non-profits including Grassroots Ecology, the Marine Science Institute, and Acterra.
Contact Kamille Lang at firstname.lastname@example.org